25ft Christina “CONTANGO A”
In 1961 the first Cowes Torquay Powerboat race featured 4 boats from the Bruce Campbell yard at Hamble they were Thunderbolt no 3 the eventual winner, Christina no 6, Campbell’s own boat Coralie no 4 and Contango A no 5 driven by P.Raymond.
Contango A – 1961
Of those four boats, 2 are missing Coralie and Christina, which was last heard of on the east coast.
Thunderbolt can be seen restored by Whittle Marine link attched
She is a Mark V hull which was redesigned for Campbell by Ray Hunt. The moulded hull was built by Walter Lawrence Ltd using the same techniques as they used for the Mosquito fighter plane bodies and finished in Campbell’s yard on the Hamble.
Carrying race no 5 she was originally powered by 2 Palmer engines totalling 270hp then in 1963 with race no 29 was converted to stern drive using the then new and successful Volvo Penta engines totalling 170 hp.
Works known to be carried out by Owner:
- Hull stripped and rotten wood replaced where necessary.
- Top half of transom replaced.
- New cabin sides and top.
- New cockpit coamings.
- New capping rails etc in mahogany (varnished but not fitted).
- Hull professionally repainted in original black enamel finish.
- All upholstery re-upholstered in red with white piping.
Specification: Given by Owner
- Twin Volvo AQ145a 4 cylinder petrol engines with 280 legs.
- Long range fuel tanks.
- Separate heads compartment.
- Anchor and chain.
- Mooring lines.
- Compass and sounder.
- Full spray hood and cockpit cover.
- Four wheel road trailer.
Price £12,500 ONO